It all started with an aromatherapy night class in Edinburgh though that quickly progressed into a full aromatherapy course in Glasgow and to a love of gardening and growing medicinal plants. You can achieve great results with aromatherapy but it doesn’t suit everyone. So, to offer a more complete and personalised service to my clients, I progressed into the fascinating world of reflexology. It’s a versatile treatment that can help with a wealth of conditions, with my specialisms now including Reproflexology™ (fertility), pregnancy, reflex lymph drainage (RLD) and baby and child reflexology.
BSc(Hons) FFHom(Nurse) RSCN CNMDipNT MIFPA MAR MARR C&G Cert.Ed
As any working parent will understand, juggling work and childcare is a challenge. And, for me, as a single mum in the early 90s, it was the one of the driving forces behind moving from Edinburgh’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children where I had trained and staffed as a children’s nurse to the world of complementary therapies. It was a move I made over 25 years ago now, and I have never looked back; it’s been fascinating, rewarding, and filled with endless learning opportunities.
My complementary therapy journey
But the learning didn’t stop there. I jumped at the chance to complete my BSc (Hons) in Homeopathy at Edinburgh Napier University which led to my Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Homeopathy qualification and my MFHom (Nurse) later to become a Fellow of the Faculty of Homeopathy. Homeopathy is now an integral part of my holistic approach with fertility and pregnancy clients.
Midlothain Sure Start
From 2003 to 2016 I worked for Midlothian Sure Start, first as a complementary therapist, working with the parents and children in both group and one to one sessions, introducing complementary therapies to them then, when NHS Lothians Health Improvement Funding (HIF) funding criteria changed, as their Healthy Living Co-ordinator.
I looked after all things ‘health’ and was involved in a variety of activities including the running of cooking and weaning groups for parents and the production of a healthy recipe book. I was also part of strategic groups for mental health awareness, and I am preserved forever in an NHS weaning film!
One of my main successes though was my involvement in the award-winning programme, ‘A Good Start’. I managed, developed, and trained students to deliver the nine-week course of baby massage, weaning, play, baby brain and baby first aid.
The project was evaluated positively by Stirling University – Parents’ perspectives of a universal early attachment programme in Scotland Health Promotion International, Volume 32, Issue 6, 1 December 2017, Pages 1015–1024
In 2008 Midlothian Sure Start also won the Integrated Health Care Award of which I was part of the leading team.
Continued Professional Development
Professional Development (CPD) has always played an important part in my learning journey. I carry out over 100 hours of extra learning per year across all subjects to ensure I can provide the best care possible for my clients. It’s a never-ending journey…
- Advanced Reproflexology Practitioner (2021)
- Zest4life coaching (2020)
- Maternity Reflexology with Suzanne Enzer; Soul to Soul Reflexology x 4 days (2009 & 2017)
- Reflexology Lymph Drainage x 2 days; Sally Kay (2015)
- Reproflexology™ x 4 days (Parts 1 & 2); Seren Natural Fertility Training (2015)
- Nutrition and Fertility Expert course; ION (2014)
- Gentle Touch Reflexology for Babies and Children; Sue Ricks x 2 days (2013)
- Karuna Reiki Master; Linda Thomson (2013)
- Level 3 award for First Aid at Work trainers; Abertay Training (2days)
- Diploma in Nutritional Therapy, College of Naturopathic Medicine (2011)
- Usui Reiki Master; TSW Holistic Therapies (2009)
- BSc Honours Degree in Homeopathy; Napier University & Faculty of Homeopathy (2002)
- Diploma in Classical Reflexology; The Academy of Aromatherapy and Massage (1998)
- City and Guilds (7307) Further and Adult Education Teachers Certificate (1997)
- COSCA certificate in Counselling Skills (1996)
- Diploma in Clinical Aromatherapy; Scottish School of Aromatherapy (1994)
- Registered Sick Children’s Nurse, Edinburgh (1989)